Thursday, September 17, 2009

Canning was a disaster

My sister Sue and I should have known better, but we attempted to bottle peaches the other day and it didn’t end well. I will admit that I was all gung-ho and innocent and Sue tried to warn me, but I just wouldn’t listen. So instead of just enjoying the peaches in desserts and ice cream we blanched them and peeled them and cut them and made a huge sticky mess of Sue’s kitchen. The result…sixteen unsealed bottles of peaches, which means Nick and I have a lot of peaches to eat within the next week. This will be the last time I will ever attempt to bottle peaches.

Here we are looking all innocent and excited.

Little did we know we still had four hours of canning left.

P.S. We turned the peaches upside down and salvaged all sixteen bottles. Now Nick and I won’t have to make ourselves sick off of peaches!

5 comments:

Thekrogwoman said...

What went wrong?? I bottled 40 jars of peaches and so far 28 jars of pears. (I'll be finishing up my pears tonight). If you need tips I'd love to share. It's really an easy process, but it has to be done right. Don't give up (but it sounds like you already have). When you're done with 80 jars of fruit in your storage, it's a wonderful thing!!!

Mindi B said...

Sorry to hear it wasn't a pleasant experience. I'm glad you figured out that turning the jars upside down would get them to seal - that would have been a lot of peaches to eat in a short amount of time. Canning really can be kind of fun and addicting, but I haven't had the itch to do it for the past four years. Maybe when this last baby gets a little older, I'll get gungho about it again. Nice job!

Mariah said...

Oh don't get me wrong... Sue and I had a blast. But for some reason none of our bottles sealed and we can't figure out why. It's a pretty easy process and we know that. Boil water and put your bottles in it. Don't worry though; we'll probably end up canning next year anyway. This will all be forgotten and I'll talk Sue into doing it again with me. Good times!

Wilde Things said...

Trav and I have a system. We wait till the kids are in bed, get chips and salsa and go to town. I'm glad you salvaged them, that would have really sucked! Next year will be better!

Rebecca Beesley said...

Let's be honest with ourselves it is because you didn't have little-miss-Becca-homemaker there to save the day... am I right?